Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kingdom of the Dinosaurs at Knott's Berry Farm

This ride is awesome. Well, was.




 I love this ride. It makes me so sad to know that not only is it gone, but it's wearing down over time. For some reason, Knott's didn't bother to preserve much of the ride. Apparently there is also graffiti everywhere. What I do know is:

  • The front of the building is now a Laser Tag Arena and Arcade.
    • I didn't think to look into this while I was there but I've found some sites saying that failed and the building is now just park storage.
  • The wolves and Ice Age Elk have been moved to Timber Mountain Log Ride. 
  • Rocko the triceratops is now in Camp Snoopy. 


I was able to find a few websites that talk about the ride and provide some information.
Kingdom of Dinosaurs - A Ride in Ruin
"In this classic ride, guests boarded time machines in 1920's LA where they were introduced to Dr. Wells (An obvious nod to H.G. Wells, author of The Time Machine), the man responsible for building the time machine. Although he encouraged guests to turn back, guests rode right into a wormhole traveling back to the Ice Age by mistake. Ancient paintings led the way to a caveman village in the middle of a dark forest, complete with a glistening night sky, terrifying dire wolves, a giant elk, and howling winds. A brighter forest introduced guests to a giant ground sloth munching on leaves and a pair of woolly mammoths, one calling to its mate, the unfortunate mate stuck in tar. A saber-toothed cat was the last thing guests saw (Unless you count the backside of a mammoth) before traveling back in time to a giant insect-infested jungle. Afterwards was an early dinosaur-filled swamp followed by a trip to a late dinosaur-filled forest. Brontosaurs, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, and a humongous Tyrannosaurus inhabited the area, bidding guests farewell as they traveled back to 1920's LA. The ride was an excellent experience, even when it began to deteriorate in the early 2000's when the ride closed."
Can I just say the dying woolly mammoth always made me sad as a child? I always left the ride hoping she (or he) would be saved by Snoopy.

I remember the first time I went on the ride. A Apatosaurus (Brontosaurus) head stood over the ride track, this glaring down at you. I grabbed my mom and like any other scared child whimpered "mommy". To this day I remember her exact response. "It's okay, he's a veggiesaurus." How awesome are moms?

What it comes down to is instead of fixing the ride up and making it popular again, they gutted very little of it, and left the rest to rot. They also did not bother to tell the public so it could have had a deserving goodbye party. The saving grace here? Rocko the triceratops who used to be at the entrance of the ride is still alive and kicking. Well, as much as you can for being a marble statue. I was there about three weeks ago and he is inside the garden of a kids ride.



Here are some more photos of the ride.














2 comments:

  1. I miss this ride! I use to ride on this during my early childhood during the late 90's and early 2000's. With this magnificent ride gone, I see no reason to revisit Knott's Berry Farm ever again. It just doesn't feel the same anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Obviously I never visit this blog anymore. But thank you for commenting.

      Knott's came out with a pin dedicated to the ride in Jan of last year, and you could only get it on person. I've never managed to find one for sale online.

      Delete